James George Wiehl
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
7676 Forsyth Blvd
St. Louis, MO 63105
Tel: +1 314 505 8820
Jim Wiehl is a partner in Norton Rose Fulbright’s St. Louis office. His broad corporate and regulatory healthcare practice includes handling all types of affiliations; mergers and acquisitions; private equity transactions; corporate structure and board governance issues, including analysis of a board’s fiduciary obligations including duty of care and duty of loyalty, and immunities available to board members; development and implementation of accountable care organizations under the Affordable Care Act, including the utilization of waivers and deemed clinical integration status; complex outsource arrangements; managed care arrangements; antitrust consulting; Medicare and Medicaid regulatory consulting; investigations and corporate compliance and other healthcare regulatory consulting.
He has worked with a diverse group of health care clients including health care systems, academic medical centers, hospitals, universities, large specialty physician groups, health insurance companies, and other health care providers. Jim was named “Lawyer of the Year” for healthcare law in St. Louis in 2016 by Best Lawyers and is a recommended lawyer for Healthcare: Service providers by Legal 500 in the US.
- JD, University of Notre Dame Law School, 1979
- BA, cum laude, Governmental and International Relations, University of Notre Dame, 1976
Rankings and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2007 – 2021
- Best Lawyers – Health Care Law, Best Lawyers, 2022
- BTI Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, 2019, 2021
- Lawyer of the Year, St. Louis: Healthcare Law, Best Lawyers, 2016
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Healthcare: Service Providers, The Legal 500, 2014 – 2017, 2019
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2005 – 2013
Jim’s most current work includes:
- Represented, as lead counsel, regional community hospital in developing an affiliation with a multi-billion dollar health care system
- Represented, as lead counsel, nationally recognized not-for-profit health care system in restructuring its affiliation with a regional hospital through a long-term lease arrangement
- Represented healthcare system in its affiliation with 15+ hospital multi-state health care system
- Represented, as lead counsel, regional health care system in developing management agreements by which sophisticated cardiology and neurosurgical groups undertook management of the system’s cardiovascular and neurosurgical service lines, as well as development of joint ventures for certain technical services
- Represented, as lead counsel, health care system’s restructuring of its investment in large multispecialty group, permitting group to spin off and sell on-going HMO operations
- Represented, as lead counsel, health care system’s integration with a large multi-specialty group
- Represented numerous hospitals and health care systems in the formation of joint ventures with physicians for the provision of cardiac catheterization services
- Represented numerous hospitals and health care systems in the creation of Ambulatory Surgery Center joint ventures with physicians
- Represented several hospitals and a large cardiovascular group in the formation of joint ventured heart hospitals
- Represented large health care system in the development and implementation of a radiology services joint venture with hospital based radiology group
- Represented hospital in defense and settlement of multi-million dollar false claim action brought by Federal government
- Represented the board of directors of hospital against claims of negligence, breach of fiduciary duties and negligent credentialing
- Represented health system in defense of qui tam action alleging upcoding of DRGs at client’s inpatient facilities
- Representation of several health care systems in investigation of billing and compensation irregularities, leading to resolution or voluntary disclosures to CMS
- Represented various hospitals and other health care providers in the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs
- “Perspectives on Best Practices for Health Care Transactions,” Inside the Minds: Structuring Health Care Partnerships, Agreements, and M&A Transactions, Aspatore, Inc., C-Level Business Intelligence, pages 97-122, 2007
- “Roles and Responsibilities of Nonprofit Health Care Board Members in the Post-Enron Era,” The Journal of Legal Medicine, 25:411-439, 2004
- Co-Author, “Gainsharing: A Call for Guidance”, Journal of Health Law, Vol. 32, No. 4, Fall 1999
- Co-Editor with Allan Fine, “Integrated Health Care Delivery Systems: Business and Legal Forms,” Thompson Publishing Group, 1994
- “Integrated Health Care Delivery Systems: A Guide to Successful Strategies for Hospital and Physician Collaboration,” Chapters 4 and 11, Thompson Publishing Group, 1993
- “The Direct Contracting Manual,” Capitol Publications, 1992
- “The Managed Care Contracting Manual,” Capitol Publications, Inc., 1990
- “Physician Integration: The Legal Pressures for Consolidation of Health Care Services,” St. Louis University Law Journal, Volume 34, No. 4, 1990
We were the first global law firm to develop a dedicated healthcare legal practice more than 35 years ago. The experienced lawyers who comprise our global healthcare team act for numerous clients across the healthcare sector, including hospitals and health systems, academic medical centers, long-term care and assisted living facilities, retail pharmacies and wholesale distributors, multi-disciplinary physicians groups and health insurers.
We advise our clients on all aspects of healthcare law, including transactions, telemedicine, private and tax-exempt financings, insurance coverage and reimbursement, medical liability claims, healthcare fraud and abuse issues, clinical integration, construction and licensing of healthcare facilities and labor and employment matters.
Many of our lawyers have extensive backgrounds within the healthcare industry and they maintain their professional relationships and their healthcare credentials, allowing them to offer an industry-centered approach across a full range of litigation, transactional and regulatory issues.
Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions, energy, infrastructure, mining, commodities and agribusiness, transport, technology and innovation, and life sciences and healthcare. Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.