David “Beau” D. Haynes
Phelps Dunbar LLP
365 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130-6534
Clients who turn to Beau Haynes for their legal help find a lawyer who is passionate and knowledgeable about the health care industry. With more than 15 years of experience in the field, he has represented a diverse group of health care providers. Beau’s experience ranges from serving as in-house counsel for one of Louisiana’s largest health care providers to a practicing attorney in a boutique health care firm setting. He strives to understand clients’ needs and their ongoing goal of improving community health while focusing on providing practical guidance and tangible value.
Beau works with clients to develop a solution that fits their individual needs. A one-size-fits-all approach is not a potential solution because he understands each transaction and client is unique. When needed, he doesn’t hesitate to bring further technical skills to a matter through his deep network of professional relationships, whether it be a colleague who focuses on specific issues or an outside consultant or expert who can provide unique insight.
Beau helps health care providers address business, legal and regulatory issues. Clients trust him when they’re faced with matters involving:
- Corporate governance, privacy and security
- Health care regulatory and compliance matters
- Strategic transactions including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and management services organizations
- Innovative or alternative health care delivery models, recruitment agreements and employment contracts
- Management agreements and compensation arrangements
- Telehealth and digital health
Beau’s health care experience extends beyond the office as he is a frequent guest speaker on health care related issues and an adjunct professor for various academic institutions.
- Lead counsel in the development of medical marijuana related cannabis industry initiatives in Mississippi and Alabama.
- Represents and serves as lead counsel for multiple hospitals and integrated health systems regarding strategic initiatives and health care regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters.
- Serves as lead counsel for multiple pharmacies regarding strategic initiatives and health care regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters.
- Served as lead counsel in recent transactions involving the sale of home health care organizations and related assets.
- Currently serves as lead counsel for multiple physician groups and physician organization regarding strategic initiatives and health care, regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters.
- Assists health care providers in various telehealth and digital health matters.
- Testified before the Louisiana Senate Health and Welfare Committee in opposition to a bill that would limit physician-ownership in compound pharmacies.
- Advises and assists multiple physicians regarding employment relationships with integrated health systems or hospitals including, but not limited to, review of employment contracts, recruitment agreements and compensation arrangements.
- Louisiana State Bar Association – Health Law Section (Vice-Chairman 2015-2020)
- Texas Bar Association – Health Law Section
- American Bar Association – Health Law Section
- American Health Law Association
- American Telemedicine Association
- Loyola University-New Orleans College of Law (Adjunct Professor, Health Care Law)
- Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (Adjunct Professor)
- New Orleans Bar Association Young Lawyers Section (Board of Directors 2005-2008)
Our health law attorneys represent health care clients in a variety of managed care matters, including:
- Assisting clients in establishing and operating managed care organizations, including HMOs, PPOs, MSOs, PHOs and IPAs
- Assisting providers in applications to market Medicare Select products
- Negotiating provider contracts with, and for, hospitals and individual physicians, as well as with group practices, including a variety of payment arrangements, such as discounted fee-for-service fees, withholds and capitated arrangements
- Developing a variety of contractual arrangements with subscribers and TPAs, including full-service third-party administration and contracts for more limited services, including enrollment, claims payment and utilization review
- Assisting in the development of pharmacy arrangements for managed organizations
- Assisting in licensing TPAs and UR companies.
Additionally, our lawyers are familiar with the ERISA issues involved in establishing managed care plans, the scope of preemption, the requirements for SPDs and related documents, the risks of “bad faith” liability and the preemption doctrine as it relates to possible “bad faith” liability.
Companies with business interests across the South turn to Phelps Dunbar for counsel on their legal needs. With 13 office locations in the U.S. and in London, we serve clients in the region’s major commercial centers. Our 300-plus lawyers focus on six core areas: labor and employment, litigation, business, admiralty, insurance coverage and healthcare. But it’s more than our casework that sets our firm apart.
We spend time with you off the clock, so we can learn everything from your strategic goals to challenging operational issues. We are known for asking questions, not just about what is, but about what should be. And we make sure that you access our experience seamlessly, with every lawyer in every office available to be part of your team. We do this because anything can make the difference in a business-critical deal or lawsuit.
We embrace the future, not just of your industry but of our own. We are constantly looking for how to improve services and outcomes through technology. Through our Phelps Analytics Lab, we partner with Tulane University to pilot programs that use AI to identify business trends, develop litigation strategies and improve efficiency.
We are proud to offer national talent with local pricing to companies working throughout the Gulf South. We welcome the chance to work with you.