T. Braxton McKee
Kaufman & Canoles, P.C.
2101 Parks Avenue, Suite 700
Post Office Box 626
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451
Tel: (757) 624.3123
T. Braxton McKee is Chairman of Kaufman & Canoles’ Health Care Practice Group. He has more than 35 years of experience providing health care legal expertise on all areas of the law impacting medical practices, including Medicare/Medicaid laws and regulations, regulatory guidance, fraud and abuse, hospital-physician joint ventures, certificates of public need and day-to-day operational issues. Braxton’s commercial law practice includes corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, and contract negotiation.
Thanks in part to Braxton’s skill and experience, Kaufman & Canoles is considered a market leader when it comes to merging medical practices. Braxton has been involved in creating physician groups affiliated with most of the major hospitals and health systems throughout the Mid-Atlantic and in forming a multitude of joint ventures between physician groups and major hospital systems. He has helped form numerous independent physician practices and has represented hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and other providers in general healthcare matters. Braxton has also been involved in creating provider networks for insurance contracts and in developing physician practice management companies. Through his practice, Braxton has developed a thorough understanding of the business and regulatory issues that affect health care. He has established relationships with key players in the health care system –- connections that ultimately benefit his clients.
As one of the area’s leaders in medical legal matters, Braxton has served as a lecturer and expert witness on Medicare fraud and abuse issues. He is also a frequent speaker at health care industry events and legal programs. Braxton is a member of the National Health Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, the Virginia Bar Association and the Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association. Braxton served on the Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar Health Care Section and is the current Chairman of the Health Law Council of the Virginia Bar Association. He is routinely recognized by Best Lawyers in America, Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Virginia Super Lawyers, and as one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Chambers USA. Furthermore, Martindale-Hubbell has rated Braxton an AV preeminent attorney, its highest rating available.
- Represents University of Virginia Physicians Group
- Represents Bayview Physicians Group comprised of approximately 350 physicians
- Represented numerous oral and maxillofacial surgeons across the nation in forming a physician practice management company
- Facilitated and closed a number of major medical group integrations including Mid-Atlantic Women’s Care, PLLC, Gastrointestinal and Liver Specialists of Tidewater, PLLC and Southern Surgical Associates, PLLC
- Represented multiple buyers and sellers of medical practices with extensive exposure in representing medical practices selling their practices to Sentara Medical Group, Riverside Physician Services, Chesapeake Regional Medical Group and Bon Secours
- Represented largest oncology group in Tidewater and one of the largest local cardiology groups in forming joint ventures with the area’s major hospital system for the provision of comprehensive cancer care centers and outpatient cardiology testing centers, respectively
- Represented joint venture of hospital and oncology group in obtaining certificates of public need for comprehensive cancer care centers
- Represents largest oncology groups in Tidewater and Roanoke, Virginia in selling their medical practice to US Oncology and entering into long-term management services agreements
- Fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation, Class of 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 1998-2022
- Norfolk Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year; Best Lawyers in America, 2007, 2012, 2015-2016
- Virginia Super Lawyers; Law & Politics, 2006-2017
- Virginia’s Legal Elite; Virginia Business Magazine, 2005-2021
- Virginia’s Legal Elite; Virginia Business Magazine, Best Lawyer in Virginia, 2006
- Top Lawyers; CoVaBIZ, 2017-2022
- America’s Leading Business Lawyers; Chambers USA, 2004-2011
- AV® Rated; Martindale-Hubbell
The business of health care in America today is more complex than it has ever been. With a wealth of combined legal experience, Kaufman & Canoles’ health care attorneys understand the medical field and many of the nuances of anatomy and physiology as well as the diagnostic and therapeutic tools used by health care providers.
The experienced attorneys at Kaufman & Canoles make it their business to know the extraordinarily complex and dynamic nature of the health care business. We represent individual physicians and physician groups, hospitals, health care joint ventures, health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations, nursing homes, hospices and home health agencies. In addition, we provide advice and counsel to freestanding laboratories, adult homes, continuing care retirement communities, durable medical equipment companies, physical therapy practices and companies, and physician practice management companies. Whether establishing new relationships or maintaining those which we have developed over the years, our health care attorneys work closely with clients to keep them well-informed and updated about regulatory changes. This proactive approach often enables our clients to avoid problems before they arise.
Experienced trial lawyers in our Health Care Group defend medical malpractice actions and disciplinary actions by state licensing boards. While malpractice defense for professional liability insurance companies, hospitals, and physicians is the mainstay of our health care litigation practice, we also have broad experience in litigating criminal and civil cases relating, among other things, to Medicare fraud and abuse, reimbursement disputes and representation of medical staffs.
The principal members of our Health Care Group have been recognized in Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” and were selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA’s listing of leading attorneys in the United States.
Our roots can be found in two well-respected Norfolk law firms: Kaufman & Oberndorfer and Canoles, Mastracco, Martone, Barr and Russell (which was founded by Leroy T. Canoles in 1951). Kaufman & Canoles was created on January 1, 1982 through the merger of these two distinguished firms.
Our rich history and our deep roots speak to our experience, connections and ability to adapt to a changing world. Through the years, we have shown a remarkable record of effective legal service and a progressive attitude toward growth.