Connie M. Alt
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
115 3rd St. SE, Suite 500
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Tel: (319) 731-2217
Connie M. Alt is a Senior Vice President at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll and serves as chair of the Health Law Section and Litigation Practice Groups. Her legal work focuses primarily in the areas of health law and litigation, (medical malpractice, products liability, and commercial litigation).
She has worked with and for health law clients throughout the state, including hospitals, multi-specialty medical groups, clinics, and individual providers. In addition to her extensive trial experience (more than 75 jury trials, as well as non-jury trials, and administrative hearings), she advises her clients on all aspects of health law, including risk management, policies, medical staff by-laws, fair hearing processes, medical records issues, and professional board matters. She has also served the firm as a past board member.
She recently began a position as an adjunct assistant professor of health law for the Executive Masters Program in the School of Public Health at The University of Iowa.
Prior to joining Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, Connie clerked for Associate Justice Harvey Uhlenhopp on the Iowa Supreme Court in 1985.
Awards and Recognitions
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America®–Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants.
- Named Cedar Rapids “Lawyer of the Year” Bet-the-Company Litigation (2014) and Medical Malpractice Law (2016) by Best Lawyers in America®
- Listed as a Great Plains Super Lawyer®-Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice, Civil Litigation Defense, General Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell, Inc. Rating “AV”
- Waypoint Women of Achievement Honoree (1995)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Iowa Society of Hospital Attorneys
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- State Committee Chair (2013-2014)
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Iowa President (2007)
- Fellow, Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- President (2006)
- Member, Linn County Bar Association
- President (2010)
- Board of Governors (1995-1997)
- Member, Defense Research Institute, Inc.
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member: Health Law Section and Litigation Section (1995-present)
- Bench/ Bar committee (1997-2000)
- Master, Mason Ladd Inn of Court
- President (2003)
- Program Chair Iowa (2002)
- Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Evidence (2001-2004)
- Iowa Supreme Court Committee on Continuing Legal Education (1993-1999)
The Shuttleworth & Ingersoll Health Law Practice Group represents a number of health care providers including regional and county hospitals, as well as physicians, home health agencies, nursing homes, pharmacies and a wide variety of others in dealing with the multifaceted legal issues which arise in the healthcare environment.
The Health Law Group advises clients with respect to numerous issues, including:
The formation and operation of healthcare delivery systems;
The preparation and negotiation of a variety of agreements with physicians and other healthcare professionals, network participation agreements, joint ventures, provider services agreements, and capitation agreements;
The structure, design, negotiation and documentation of self-insured plans, including stop loss coverage, third party administration agreements and health insurance contracts;
Compliance with anti-kickback, Stark, antitrust, HIPAA, and other federal and state statutes and regulations affecting health care;
The operational aspects of hospitals, pharmacies, nursing homes and clinics such as informed consent, policy and procedure review, medical records confidentiality, reimbursement, advance directives, employment and labor relations, compensation and benefits, credentialing and peer review, licensing board actions, medical ethics and medical staff issues;
Professional corporations, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans for professional corporations, and tax issues for professional corporations; and
Estate planning and asset protection planning for physicians.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C., is one of Iowa’s largest full-service law firms, serving clients since 1854.
With more than 55 talented and experienced attorneys, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll provides a wide range of specialized legal services to clients in Iowa, throughout the Midwest, and around the world.
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll is a multi-specialty law firm of more than 50 attorneys with offices in Cedar Rapids & Coralville, providing legal services to clients in Iowa and around the world. Using a collaborative, team-based approach, our firm provides innovative, cost-effective solutions to client problems.