Leland Eugene Backus
Backus | Burden
3050 South Durango Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89117
Tel: (702) 872-5555
Leland Eugene (Gene) Backus is a native Nevadan and graduate of UCLA School of Law.
His law firm, Backus | Burden is located in Las Vegas and specialises in healthcare law, professional liability, construction, hotel/casino, complex and insurance litigation, and international law. The firm provides representation to hotels, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, design professionals, lawyers, physicians, hospitals, medical device manufacturers, product manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and numerous public companies. The firm provides business and commercial transactional services to their clients.
He has authored several articles in the field of litigation, including ABA survey publications on healthcare, pharmaceuticals and medical device litigation issues. Not only has he educated others in healthcare law and products liability internationally, he has lectured in construction law at the national level at both the esteemed Superconference and the ABA Forum for the Construction Industry. He has helped educate judges and lawyers on civil rule practice; his peers refer to him as a “lawyer’s lawyer.”
- He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in 2007 – 2022 for Nevada and the Mountain States.
- He was recognized as a Top Lawyer in Las Vegas, Nevada
- The firm has been recognized by U.S. News & World Reports as a Best Law Firm.
Mr. Backus is an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association in complex construction and commercial matters and has been selected as panel chairman in many large scale disputes.
He has been chief trial counsel or regional counsel on some of the largest complex cases in the country from the MGM Fire Litigation where he was appointed Liaison Counsel to Agent Orange, asbestos, DuPont Hotel Fire Litigation, Pepcon Plant Explosion, Bone Screw Litigation, tobacco, diet drug, yellow brass and other medical/pharmaceutical complex and class action litigation.
Mr. Backus is a founding benefactor of the Nevada Law Foundation Colleagues and received a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition for helping start this program. His contributions to the poor and less fortunate and women who have undergone breast cancer have continued throughout his career.
Representing clients through complex issues is a specialty of Backus | Burden. Often, in the case of health care, issues can escalate quickly and businesses can find themselves suddenly on the defensive. That’s where a qualified, knowledgeable team can save you money – often millions of dollars. Backus | Burden’s lawyers are experienced in representing physician groups, hospitals, professional liability insurers, medical device manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies. Following are some special considerations to bear in mind:
- Representing health professionals and other industry clients in negotiations, contract development and practice planning to dispute resolution in arbitration, mediation and trial.
- Active member of the American Health Lawyers Association and American Arbitration Association.
- Firm members educate the industry by speaking on a wide variety of health issues.
- Have litigated health issues through the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to the United States Supreme Court.
- Have been successful in securing multi-million dollar recoveries for our clients.
- Have assisted physician groups in going public on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Counseling for hospital and physicians in federal and state law compliance advice in fraud, self-referrals and false claims.
- Claims and lawsuits in both state and federal courts involving covenants not to compete, confidentiality agreements and other restrictive covenants.
- Business organization development and representation, employee/independent contract preparation.
- Credentialing and peer review representation.
- Acting in the capacity of an arbitrator/mediator in health industry complex disputes
- Authored the Nevada section for several 50 state surveys published by the ABA Section on Litigation, Committee on Product Liability, Subcommittees on Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices involving various issues ranging from FDA based torts, punitive damages, and the learned intermediary doctrine.
The firm’s goal is to provide aggressive, cost-efficient legal representation to clients through the enhanced use of technology, while affording clients the personal attention expected from a small law firm. Every member of the firm has the experience needed to provide superb counsel on a wide variety of legal issues and each takes pride in meeting the needs of the client and exceeding expectations.
Cases in which the firm has been involved locally and nationally include: Construction, Real Estate Litigation, Business Litigation, Products Liability, Health care, Premises Liability, Insurance, Tribal Indian and Gaming, Employment, Civil litigation, Business organization, Restaurant and Food Liability, Commerical Litigation, Lender Liability Litigation, Arbitration/Mediation Services, Professional Liability, and Complex and Mass Tort Litigation.