Patrick J. Knight
Gimbel, Reilly, Guerin & Brown LLP
330 East Kilbourn Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Patrick Knight’s thirty plus years of litigation experience in the healthcare, civil and white collar criminal fields make him uniquely qualified to handle the complex legal issues that impact multiple areas of a client’s interests.
Pat is frequently asked to advise and educate healthcare groups including the Wisconsin Medical Society, corporate healthcare counsel and the long-term-care industry.
Pat’s experience with federal, state and local regulating and investigating agencies gives him the ability to guide clients through the multiple areas of risk that affect today’s business and professional climate. This allows his clients the time to focus on maintaining business and professional concerns, while he controls any civil, criminal or regulatory risks that may affect their organization. His approachable manner allows him to create a comfortable client attorney relationship. More importantly, his experience and rapport with Federal and State agencies and prosecutors provides clients the necessary access to problem solutions.
In recent years Pat has successfully resolved large scale civil, criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions of clients involving qui tam litigation, alleged DEA violations, pharmaceutical fraud and quality of care matters. As a result, he is often called upon to conduct internal investigations and “take the point” on dealing with multiple federal and state agencies. Addressing potential problems early and aggressively has allowed many business and professional clients to grow and thrive while undergoing a government investigation.
Based upon his broad-based government investigation practice Pat’s been named to Best Lawyers in America for both Health Law, and White-Collar Criminal Defense, and for over 15 years, has been a Wisconsin Super Lawyers for Civil Litigation Defense.
- Wisconsin, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1979
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1997
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. – 1979
- St. Joseph’s College
- B.S. – 1976
- Named one of the “Best Lawyers” for Health Care Law and Criminal Defense (General Practice), Criminal Defense- White Collar
- AV Preeminent – Healthcare Defense – Corporate Counsel Magazine
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers – Civil Litigation – 2006 – 2021
- Named in top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers – 2018
- Leaders in the Law – Wisconsin Law Journal – 2009
- Fellow; Wisconsin Law Foundation – 2011 – present
- AV Preeminent, White Collar Criminal Defense, National Law Journal – 2012, 2013
- Top Rated Lawyer, Healthcare – Martindale-Hubbell
- Court Commissioner – Branch 39
- State Bar of Wisconsin: Health Law, Litigation and Criminal Law Sections, Member
- American Bar Association: Health and Criminal Law Sections, Member
- Milwaukee Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin: Health Law Section, Board of Directors
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Eastern District of WI Bar Association (EDWBA)
The Health Law Group at GRGB is uniquely positioned to represent, investigate, diffuse, defend and resolve such problems for health care entities and professionals. Recognized throughout Wisconsin as the “go to” firm for resolving serious health law issues, our clients are most often referred by influential health professionals and lawyers who recognize that health provider representation requires the special expertise, access and influence that GRGB provides.
Our attorneys provide healthcare defense to businesses facing any criminal charges. We can defend against accusations of fraud related to upcoding, overbilling or any violations of the False Claims Act. GRGB lawyers have defended the following cases:
- Largest nursing home investigation in Wisconsin history resulting in a closed investigation without civil or criminal prosecution or penalties
- Largest home healthcare agency investigation and prosecution in Wisconsin
- Medical transport companies and equipment manufacturers and suppliers from claims of Medicare and Medicaid fraud, violations of the False Claims Act and program audits
- Numerous nursing home investigations involving patient abuse and neglect
- Physicians and other healthcare providers from claims of healthcare fraud and abuse, Drug Enforcement Administration narcotic violations and patient neglect
- Served as local counsel in national investigation of international pharmaceutical companies involving allegations of fraud, price fixing and other consumer violations
We represent healthcare businesses in all types of civil litigation, including claims related to fraud or overbilling. Some of these claims may have to be handled side by side with criminal investigations. Our experience allows us to do this.
Our lawyers are available to handle all legal needs that a healthcare provider, such as a nursing home, may encounter. That includes everything from formation to dissolution, including professional licensing and disciplinary matters.
GRGB is recognized as one of the best trial and litigation firms in Wisconsin. Our attorneys have successfully represented individuals and businesses in a wide variety of cases, from white collar criminal investigations and serious criminal offenses, to personal injury and complex civil litigation, to family law and real estate matters. They have earned the respect of the legal community and are recognized for their skill and experience not only by our clients, but also by colleagues, adversaries and judges. GRGB is known for its tradition of honesty, candor and in-depth preparation and presentation.
In addition to being our clients’ best advocates, GRGB has a long history of giving back to the community. Our lawyers serve dozens of community organizations on a variety of levels, demonstrating a genuine compassion for the people in the communities in which we live and practice. GRGB is also a proud member of the LGBT Chamber of Commerce which works to create a fully inclusive state by promoting economic growth and opportunities among LGBT owned and allied businesses, corporations, and professionals in Wisconsin.