Sigrid C. Haines
Whiteford Taylor Preston LLP
7 Saint Paul Street
Baltimore, MD 21202-1636
Ms. Haines is a health care and elder law attorney. She has earned a reputation as one of Maryland’s most respected health care attorneys for her representation of hospitals, medical and health-related foundations, health care systems, nursing homes, home health agencies, physicians and pharmacies. She also practices in the guardianship field.
Ms. Haines counsels hospitals on a broad range of legal matters, including contract disputes and negotiations; hospital privileges and credentials; patient care; policy, licensing, accreditation and regulatory matters; HIPAA issues; medical staff bylaws; and fraud and abuse investigations and litigation. She also advises physicians and dentists on privileging and credentialing, licensing, payor issues, contracts and peer review activities.
Ms. Haines represents individuals and institutions in guardianship matters and has been appointed as guardian of property in a number of cases. For clients who are competent, but who recognize that they need assistance, she often serves as attorney-in-fact under a power of attorney to handle financial and health care needs based on her clients’ instructions.
In fulfilling her duties to the court or to her clients, Ms. Haines works with both county and private social workers in order to provide the highest quality of life possible. In addition, she ensures that bills get paid and money is managed efficiently to meet the needs of her clients and wards.
- Chambers USA, Health Care, Maryland, Band 2 (2011–Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Elder Law and Health Care Law (2012–Present)
- Maryland Super Lawyers®, Health Care (2007, 2009–2010, 2013–Present)
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, Health Care (2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015)
- AV Preeminent®: Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Chair/Vice Chair/Secretary/Treasurer: Health Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Former Member: Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Advisory Board for Patient Safety
- Former Member: Hebrew Home, Rockville, Patient Safety Committee
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association (Health Law Section Council 1993-present, Health Law Section 1989-present, Elder Law and Disability Rights Section Council 2014-2015, Board of Governors 2010-2012)
- Member: American Health Lawyers Association (1983-present)
- Auxiliary Board Member: Days End Farm Horse Rescue
The Healthcare Law Group provides counsel on all aspects of health law ranging from fraud and abuse and corporate practice of medicine to government regulation and privacy. We counsel clients on HIPAA compliance as well as federal and state laws regulating managed care, Medicare and Medicaid. The Group also counsels and represents clients on matters related to compliance with anti-kickback statutes, self-referral legislation (the “Stark Law”) and defending against False Claims Act actions. Our attorneys advise healthcare clients with respect to antitrust issues inherent in such matters as preferred provider organizations, joint venture arrangements and mergers and acquisitions.
In addition, the Healthcare Law Group provides guidance to insurance carriers and employers on health benefit plans. Our healthcare attorneys work closely with our Employee Benefits practice group to assist in the design of managed care mechanisms for employers and negotiations with direct contracting providers. Attorneys in the Healthcare Law Group routinely advise with respect to the laws relating to tax-exempt organizations and represent both tax-exempt organizations and for profit healthcare business in all types of business transactions, including, without limitation, joint ventures, mergers, corporate reorganizations, sales of business assets, stock or membership interests and numerous other types of transactions relating to or arising from the integrated delivery systems used to deliver healthcare services to the public.
Our clients range from innovative start-ups to middle market companies to Fortune 100 enterprises. With a growing Mid-Atlantic footprint that includes seventeen offices in Delaware, D.C., Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia, we serve clients regionally, nationally and globally.
“Sigrid Haines maintains a strong practice advising clients on a broad array of matters, including licensing, regulatory compliance and HIPAA issues. She represents hospitals, physicians and healthcare systems, among other clients.”